Friday, March 20, 2009

Stubbed toes

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Romans 8:18

Recommended Reading
2 Corinthians 4:16-18

What if you were to win an all expense paid, first-class trip around the world, but while checking your baggage at the airport you stubbed your toe? Would you say, "I wish I had never won this trip! Look! I've stubbed my toe!"?
No. You'd say, "This momentary discomfort cannot compare to the enjoyment of the trip we're about to take."
The Bible says that all our earthly problems fall into that category. They aren't worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed when we get to heaven. Paul wrote, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all" (2 Corinthians 4:17 NIV).

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. Whatever our situation here on earth, we know that our eternal quality of life will be beyond anything we can imagine or think about. We're looking for the glory to be revealed, the eternal glory that far outweighs all the stubbed toes and broken hearts of earth.

When Christ calls me Home, I shall go with the gladness of a boy bounding away from school.
Adoniram Judson, Missionary


(devotional from David Jeremiah's ministry)

No comments: