Thursday, March 12, 2009

Remembering Grandma Ida

My grandma Ida was one amazing woman.  I miss her dearly and think of her often.  She went home to be with the Lord in 1995.  She lived through the depression era, had three children, lost her husband and ended up raising her children as a single mother for 10  years until she remarried.  She made the most amazing meals from scratch.  She really knew how to stretch a dollar and make things last.  She reused everything, yet never had any clutter in her house.  She worked hard, laughed much, and loved her family.  But above all, she loved her Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.  She had an unwavering faith in God, and she always talked about Him.  I know there are so many things I could've learned from her now that I am a wife and mother myself.  And it is in my selfishness that I wish she was still here to teach me those things.  I know that God brought her home and that she is enjoying His sweet presence for eternity.

Many years before she died she wrote letters to all three of her children.  The letters were put with her will and no one even knew about them until after she died.  I know it was a neat surprise to my mom to have those letters written just to her.  My mom came across those letters again recently and photo copied them to share with me.  There is one page that I wanted to share, because it just confirmed to me even more how much my Grandma loved the Lord.  I am going to write this as she has written on the letter:

Here are a few bible verses I would like you to read.  
John 14
Christ died for our sins 1 Cor 15:3
Christ died for all 2 Cor 5:15

Jesus means so much to me, because he has saved me from hell to heaven, from death to life, from selfishness to love, from sin to service.

With Jesus as my Savior, I have nothing to fear, His Holy precious blood has freed me from the grief of sin, the terror of death, and the murderous power of the devil.  Now I am God's own child, and I can live eternally in His Heavenly Mansions when I die.

Be good to your brother and sister.  I love you very much.  
Mother

(the photo above is of my mom with Grandma Ida)

1 comment:

Amy said...

your grandmother sounds like a really special lady!

sorry I'm just now getting back to you with a letter - how about I in honor of your grandma? :)